Cosmetic Microneedling is newly emerging as an effective way to fight acne scars, reduce the appearance of stretch marks, and correct uneven skin texture. But because this procedure is relatively new to the beauty game, many people are unfamiliar with it. You may wonder how long it takes, what the recovery is like, and how often treatments are needed. We’ll answer all those questions and take an in-depth look at what you can expect the timeline to look like during your treatment with microneedles.
Why Cosmetic Microneedling?
It’s a simple procedure where a roller with tiny microneedles (>.25mm) are rolled over the skin. This process triggers the skin to produce more collagen and elastin to heal the skin and make it appear younger and healthier than before.
Although it might seem counterproductive to injure the skin to heal it, treatment with microneedles has significant benefits for your skin. Here’s a look at some of the improvements you can expect in your skin after you begin treatment:
- It helps reduce the appearance of acne scars and stretch marks.
- It minimizes wrinkles and fine lines.
- It keeps the skin tight and fights signs of aging.
- It shrinks pores and makes other topical products more effective.
You can do a few things in the week leading up to your treatment with microneedles that will help you get the best results. Here are a few tips to follow in the five to seven days before your treatment:
- Avoid applying anything to your skin that will make it more sensitive, like exfoliating face wash, retinoids, acids, or topical antibiotics.
- Don’t take anti-inflammatory medications in the three days following your treatment. This includes ibuprofen, Motrin, and Advil. These medicines reduce inflammation, an essential piece of your skin’s healing and rejuvenation.
- Wear sunscreen every time you have sun exposure the week before your treatment. Sunburned skin is susceptible and won’t respond well to microneedles.
- Avoid waxing the skin the week before your treatment. If there’s a lot of hair in the treatment area, shave the day before your treatment but take precautions not to irritate the skin.
Day of Treatment
Whether heading to a spa or doing your treatment at home, you can do a few things the day of to help yield the best results. First, you should make sure your face is freshly clean. Wash your face thoroughly, and do not apply any lotions, serums, sunscreens, powders, or makeup to your face after washing it.
The best results require you to take extra good care of your skin in the days following your treatment. A little extra time and care will help ensure you didn’t get tiny pinpricks all over your face just for nothing! It’s important to let the inflammatory process take its course, so don’t take any anti-inflammatories or apply ice to the skin.
It’s also essential to avoid suntanning and extreme sun exposure for the two weeks following your treatment. Wait 24 hours to use any sunscreen, but after that time, make sure you always have sunscreen on when you’re in the sun. A hat can be a handy tool too!
Healing and Recovery
Cosmetic Microneedling is noninvasive and negative side effects aren’t common. But your skin will go through a healing process in the days after your procedure. Here’s a look at what you can expect in the days and weeks ahead.
- Days 1-3 – Your skin might feel like it’s been sunburnt. It will be sensitive to touch and might feel tight and dry. You can wash the skin four hours after your treatment with a gentle cleanser and cool water. Avoid strenuous exercise and sweating during this time, and wear only mineral makeup.
- Days 3-5 – For most people, peeling starts at this time. Your skin will dry and flake, a natural result of the microneedles causing an increase in skin cell turnover. It’s essential to let the skin do its thing and avoid picking, scratching, or scrubbing. Keep the skin moisturized and let it peel on its own.
- Days 5-7 – It’s common for skin to normalize about a week after treatment. This is the time when you can start using regular skincare products again. You should continue seeing skin improvements for several months after your treatment.
Duration of Treatments
While a single treatment with microneedles can still be beneficial, a typical treatment plan consists of three to five treatments spaced every four to six weeks. This will help ensure the best possible results for your skin.
GetGlowing Skincare Has Everything You Need For At-Home Cosmetic Microneedling
Cosmetic Microneedling is the most effective way to get that radiant glow you’ve been looking for, and GetGlowing Skincare is here to help. We offer all the tools and equipment you need to get started on your own so you can reap the benefits of microneedles without stepping foot in an overpriced spa.
At GetGlowing Skincare, we aim to provide every person with high-quality skincare products without breaking your beauty budget. Our products are super affordable, extremely effective, and free from unwanted elements.
Our exotic ingredients and expertly formulated products are staples in the Korean beauty industry. They are innovative and unique, just like you, and they’ll help you achieve that coveted glass-skin look. Check out our online store today or contact us to learn more.