If you’re sick of hiding under a layer of makeup, it might be time to think about preventing acne naturally. Many adults hope that they’ve left their pimple-ridden teenage years behind them, only to find that their complexion hasn’t improved much with age. Some even deal with hormonal acne that can worsen in later life.
Living with acne might seem like the only option. But, believe it or not, there are simple steps you can take in your everyday life that will treat and prevent acne at the root.
Here’s a look at some beginner tips you can start incorporating today that will make a difference in your complexion.
What Causes Acne?
The first step in understanding how to prevent acne is knowing what causes it. There are a few different reasons you might be experiencing acne, including genetics, hormones, drugs, or smoking.
- Genetics – Many people are surprised to find that acne can be genetic, but it’s true. If your parents or siblings have dealt with acne, there’s a solid chance you will too.
- Hormones – Hormone levels are another likely culprit of acne and breakouts. Hormones are why so many teenagers deal with major breakouts when they’ve had clear skin in their younger years. But while teenage hormones are certainly raging, they don’t just stop after that. Hormone levels change throughout our lives, including during pregnancy and from contraceptives.
- Drugs – Certain medications may also cause acne, especially steroids and anticonvulsants used to treat epilepsy. Other medications, including those used to treat bipolar disorder, may also be a root cause of acne.
- Smoking – It’s common knowledge that smoking is hazardous to your health, but it’s also terrible for your skin. Smoking limits the supply of oxygen to the face and irritates the skin so that it produces more oil. And oily skin is a breeding ground for acne. Smoking also breaks down the elastin and the collagen in the skin, allowing more bacteria to come in and wreak havoc.
Tips to Prevent Acne Naturally
Preventing acne naturally isn’t only about washing your face more frequently. There are a lot of factors that influence your skin’s health. These tips will help you fight acne naturally, regardless of what’s causing it.
- Stop Touching Your Face
Think about how many things your hands come in contact with during the day. They immediately pick up germs and bacteria by touching your cell phone, turning on the lights, driving your car, and even drying them on a hand towel after washing them.
Repetitively touching your face throughout the day transfers these germs to your skin and can trigger breakouts or worsen existing acne. Avoid touching your face to keep it germ-free and help stop acne dead in its tracks.
- Eat a Balanced Diet
Your skin needs essential nutrients just like the rest of your body does. A diet rich in vitamins and minerals will help your skin be as healthy as possible, so eat plenty of fruits and vegetables and be sure to get enough water each day. It’s also a good idea to cut down on foods known to trigger breakouts, like caffeine, sugar, and carbs.
- Wash Your Face Properly
Sleeping with makeup on or failing to wash your face after a sweaty workout can cause breakouts, so it’s important to wash your face regularly and with the right products. Harsh facial cleansers can dry out the skin and make your acne worse, so make sure you’re using a gentle face soap.
Use warm water, avoid scrubbing, and then pat your face dry with a clean, soft towel. Washing before bed is essential, but professionals recommend cleansing your face twice a day.
- Use Face Products Formulated For Your Skin Type
Do you tend to buy whatever beauty products you can find on clearance and switch products frequently? This habit is terrible for your skin and can make acne worse rather than help.
It’s important to pay attention to what kind of skin you have so you can find products formulated specifically for your skin type. Avoid greasy products and stick to natural, professional formulas that are gentle and light on your skin.
- Wash Your Pillow Case
When was the last time you washed your pillowcase? We spend a serious amount of time with our faces pressed against a pillow, and dirty sheets and pillowcases are common culprits of acne breakouts.
Washing your face before bed will help, but it’s still recommended that you change your pillowcase at least once a week to keep your skin happy, healthy, and acne-free.
- Switch to a Gentle Detergent and Ditch the Dryer Sheets
There’s a shocking number of chemicals in laundry detergent and even more in dryer sheets. And while they’re good at cleaning and washing our clothes, they’re often too harsh for your skin. Try switching to a gentle detergent to wash your towels and bedding to limit the chemicals your face is exposed to.
- Moisturize Your Skin
All skin types need moisture, even oily skin. Dry skin can be the cause of acne and breakouts. Try incorporating hydrating serums like hyaluronic acid and beta-glucans along with your SPF-containing daily moisturizer.
A moisturizing night cream is another good addition to your skincare routine. Plenty of moisture will help form a protective layer over your skin so it’s less susceptible to environmental hazards like germs and bacteria.
GetGlowing Skincare Has Everything You Need to Perfect Your Skincare Routine
Are you ready to start preventing acne naturally? GetGlowing Skincare is here to help. We offer a broad range of products specifically designed to create flawless, beautiful skin. We use unique, natural ingredients that do wonders for preventing acne and keeping your skin soft and supple.
We’ve got supplies for every price point and use, including acne and scar repair products, anti-aging and tightening, brightenings, under-eye care, cleansers, and more.
Check out our online collection today to shop our extensive line of skincare products and see why everyone is raving about Korean skincare!